Main Article Content
This study aimed to evaluate the performance of Balinese bulls fattened by various forages on traditional farms. The study was experimental research using Clitoria ternatea, Zea mays fresh straw, Pennisetum purpuphoides, Pennisetum purpureum, Sesbania grandiflora, Centrosema pubescens, Leucaena leucocephala, and natural grass to fatten the livestock which were arranged for the farmers' habits in fattening. Variables measured included feed consumption and digestibility and livestock growth performance, including daily body weight gain (PBBH), feed conversion and efficiency, and feed cost per gain. The collected data were then analysed using descriptive analysis procedures. The results showed that fattening Balinese bulls with forage resulted in dry matter (DM) (kg/head/day) reaching 7.079, while crude protein (CP) and organic matter (OM) intake were respectively 1.053 and 6.440 (kg/head/day). The digestibility coefficient of dry matter was 56.68%, crude protein was 69.86%, and organic matter was 68.83%. The ADG obtained by livestock was 0.321 kg/head/day; meanwhile, the feed conversion and efficiency were respectively 23.664 kg.DM/kg.ADG and 4.619%; the feed cost per gain (IDR/kg.ADG) reached 10,813.85. To sum up, the use of various types of forage in fattening Balinese bulls on traditional farms indicates that DM, OM, and CP intake are relatively high, but it provides relatively low feed digestibility by mean of ADG, conversion, and feed efficiency are not optimal.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Submission of a manuscript implies that the work described has not been published before or is under consideration for publication elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract). When the manuscript is accepted for publication, the authors agree to automatic transfer of the copyright to the publisher.
- Alemneh T, and Mebrate Getabalew. 2019. Factors Influencing the Growth and Development of Meat Animals. Int J Anim Sci. 2019; 3(3): 1048. Available at: https://www.jsmcentral.org/sm-animal-science/ijas-v3-1048.pdf
- Badarina, I., Jarmuji, D. P Gultom. 2017. Kecernaan ransum sapi Bali dengan konsentrat fermentasi berbasis lumpur sawit dan bahan pakan lokal (digestibility of bali cattle diet with fermented concentrate based on solid and local feed). Agrointek. 11 (2): 63 â€“ 67.
- Cullison A.E. (1979). Feed and Feeding. 2nd Edn., Reston Publishing Company, Reston, Virginia, pp: 12-27.
- Domangue, R.J. 2015. The Basics of Statistical Design and Analysis of Experiments. Department of Mathematics and Statistics James Madison University. Available at: http://educ.jmu.edu/ ~domangrj/ANOVA_Manuscript_23Jun2015.pdf. Accessed on 8 May 2023
- Handayanta, E., Lutojo dan Kurniasih Nurdiati. 2017. Efisiensi Produksi Sapi Potong Pada Peternakan Rakyat Pada Musim Kemarau Di Daerah Pertanian Lahan Kering Kabupaten Gunungkidul. Caraka Tani: Journal of Sustainable Agriculture. 32(1), 49-54 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.20961/ carakatani.v32i1.15928
- Hart, E.H., Sarah R. Christoides, Teri E. Davies, Pauline Rees Stevens, Christopher J. Creevey, Carsten T. MÃ¼ller, Hilary J. Rogers, & Alison H. Kingston-Smith. 2022. Forage grass growth under future climate change scenarios affects fermentation and ruminant efficiency. Scientific Reports, Vol. (2022) 12:4454. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-022-08309-7
- Kenny, D.A.,2018. C. Fitzsimons, S.M. Waters, M. McGee. 2018. Invited review: Improving feed efficiency of beef cattle â€“ the current state of the art and future challenges. Animal. 12 (9), Pages: 1815-1826. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731118000976
- Lalman D, and C. Richards. 2017. Nutrient Requirements of Beef Cattle E-974. Available at: https://extension.okstate.edu/fact-sheets/print-publications/e/nutrient-requirements-of-beef-cattle-e-974.pdf. Accessed on 26 February 2023.
- Lewis, R.M., and Gerry C. Emmans. 2020. The relationship between feed intake and liveweight in domestic animals. Journal of Animal Science, 98 (4): 1 â€“ 6 Doi: https://doi.org/10.1093 /jas/ skaa087
- Marsetyo, S.Quigley., Damry. 2012. Liveweight gain and feed intake of weaned Bali cattle fed a range of diets in Central Sulawesi, Indonesia. Animal Production Science. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1071/AN11285
- Mariani, N.P., 2013. Protein and energy requirement for maintenance and groth of Bali cattle. E-Journal of Animal Science Udayana University [S.l.]. 2 (1): 1 â€“ 10. Available at: https://ojs.unud.ac.id/ index.php/jas/article/view/7553
- McLennan, S. 2015. Nutrient requirement tables for Nutrition EDGE manual. Published by: Meat and Livestock Australia Limited Locked Bag 991 NORTH SYDNEY NSW 2059. Available at: https://www.mla.com.au/contentassets/e1a46b36786b4a3a95546c610a744e7b/b.nbp.0799_final_report.pdf
- McGee, M. (2014) Feed Efficiency in Beef Finishing Systems, Teagasc, Grange Animal & Grassland Research and Innovation Centre, Dunsany, Co. Meath, Ireland. Available at: https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/publications/2014/Mark_McGEE_PAPER.pdf.Accessed on 26 February 2023.
- Muyasaroh, S., I Gede Suparta Budisatria, Kustantinah. 2015. Income Over Feed Cost penggemukan sapi oleh kelompok sarjana membangun desa (SMD) di Kabupaten Bantul dan Sleman. Buletin Peternakan vol. 39 (3): 205-211. DOI: https://doi.org/10.21059/buletinpeternak.v39i3.7989
- Oba, M., and K. Kammes-Main. 2023. Symposium review: Effects of carbohydrate digestion on feed intake and fuel supply. J. Dairy Sci. 106:2153â€“2160.https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2022-22420
- Parish, P. 2018. Beef Cattle Nutrient Requirements. Mississippi State University. Available at: https://ucanr.edu/sites/nichemarketing/files/341403.pdf.
- Rosnah, U.S., Yunus, M. 2018. Komposisi Jenis Dan Jumlah Pemberian Pakan Ternak Sapi Bali Penggemukan Pada Kondisi Peternakan Rakyat (feeds compositions and feeding amount of Bali cattle Fattened on traditional system). Jurnal nukleus peternakan. 5 (1):24 â€“ 30. DOI: https://doi.org/10.35508/nukleus.v5i1.833
- Shike, D.W. 2013. Beef Cattle Feed Efficiency. Driftless Region Beef Conference, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Available at: https://dr.lib.iastate.edu/server/api/core/bitstreams/dd9ecb91-917e-4167-8c70-f3d638978b57/content. Accessed 26 February 2023.
- Suryani, N.N., I Wayan Suarna; I Gede Mahardika and Ni Putu Sarini. 2020. Energy And Nitrogen Retention Of Bali Heifers (Bos sondaicus) fed diet containing different energy protein Level. J. Ternak Tropika Vol 21, No 1: 69-76. DOI: https://doi.org/10.21776/ub.jtapro.2020.021.01.9
- Tahuk, P. K., Budhi, S. P. S., & Panjono, B. E. 2016. In vitro characteristics of rumen fermentation of fattening rations with different protein-energy levels fed to Bali cattle. Pakistan J Nutr, 15 (10): 897-904. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3923/pjn.2016.897.904
- Tahuk, P.K., S.P.S Budhi, Panjono, N. Ngadiyono, R Utomo., C.T.Noviandi., E.Baliarti. 2017. Growth performance of male Bali cattle fattening fed ration with different protein levels in smallholder farms, West Timor, Indonesia. Asian J. Anim. Sci, 11 (2): 65 â€“ 73. DOI: 10.3923/ajas.2017.65.73
- Tahuk, P.K., E Baliarti, SPS Budhi, P Panjono.2018. The effect of season on the feed quantity and quality and growth performance of male Bali cattle fattened in smallholder farms. Buletin Peternakan 42 (3): 203-209. DOI: https://doi.org/10.21059 /buletinpeternak.v42i3.33058
- Tahuk PK, Nahak OR, Bira GF (2022). Performance of Male Bali Cattle Fattened by Complete Feed which Fish Meal Containing as a Protein Source. Adv. Anim. Vet. Sci. 10(10): 2238-2251. DOI | http://dx.doi.org/10.17582/journal.aavs/2022/10.10.2238.2251
- Thulin, S., Hill, M.J., Held, A., Jones, S. and Woodgate, P. (2014) Predicting Levels of Crude Protein, Digestibility, Lignin and Cellulose in Temperate Pastures Using Hyperspectral Image Data. American Journal of Plant Sciences, 5, 997-1019. DOI: 10.4236/ajps.2014.57113
- Vickers M. (2019). Feeding growing and finishing cattle for Better Returns. https://projectblue. blob.core. windows.net/media/Default/Beef%20&%20Lamb/BR_ Feeding Growing Finishing Cattle-WEB.pdf. Accessed on 8 May 2023.
- Webb, M. 2019. Growth promoting hormones in beef production and marketing. Available at: https://extension.umn.edu/beef-news/growth-promoting-hormones-beef-production-and-marketing. Accessed 8 May 2023.
- Wilson,H and Kenneth Kalscheur. 2022. Reduced-lignin alfalfa can improve digestibility. Available at: https://hoards.com/article-31380-reduced-lignin-alfalfa-can-improve-digestibility.html. Accessed 2 May 2023.
- Yakin, E.A. Nono Ngadiyono Dan Ristianto Utomo. 2013. Pengaruh Substitusi Silase Isi Rumen Sapi Pada Pakan Basal Rumput Dan Konsentrat Terhadap Kinerja Sapi Potong. Buletin Peternakan.36 (3) : 174-180. DOI: https://doi.org/10.21059/buletinpeternak.v36i3.1626
- Yuliaty. 2013. Energy Requirement for Maintenance and Growth of Bali Cattle in East Timor. Available at: https://espace.curtin.edu.au/bitstream/ handle/20.500.11937/2469/. Accessed 25 April 2023.
- Zhong, H.; Zhou, J.; Abdelrahman, M.; Xu, H.; Wu, Z.; Cui, L.; Ma, Z.; Yang, L.; Li, X. 2021. The Effect of Lignin Composition on Ruminal Fiber Fractions Degradation from Different Roughage Sources in Water Buffalo (Bubalus bubalis). Agriculture 2021, 11, 1015: 2 â€“ 15. https://doi.org/10.3390/ agriculture11101015