Main Article Content
Herb cheese is cheese that contains herbs extracted for their antioxidant and bioactive properties. This study aims to determine the impact of adding herb leaf extracts to cottage cheese on its yield, composition, texture, and sensory characteristics. Three different herbs were used to prepare the extracts: bidara (Ziziphus mauritiana), moringa (Moringa oleifera), and bay (Syzygium polynthum). Cottage cheese was made in the the following process: cheese made of full-fat milk (FF), cheese made of low-fat milk (LF), cheese made of low-fat milk + 20% bidara extract (LB), cheese made of low-fat milk + 20% bay extract (LS), cheese made of low-fat milk + 20% moringa extract (LM), cheese made of low-fat milk + 10% bidara extract + 10% bay extract (LBS), cheese made of low-fat milk + 10% bidara extract + 10% moringa extract (LBM), cheese made of low-fat milk + 10% bay extract + 10% moringa extract (LSM) and cheese made of low-fat milk + 6.67% bidara + 6.67% bay + and 6.67% moringa extracts (LBSM). Each treatment was replicated three times. The variables included cheese yield, compositions, texture profile, and sensory characteristics. Herb extracts resulted in a slight variation in cheese yields ranging from 7.73 to 13.8%. Full-cream milk (FF) cheese contained the least moisture, while low-fat bay+moringa (LSM) cheese contained the most protein and the least fat. The texture profile showed a significant difference in hardness, cohesiveness, adhesiveness, gumminess, and chewiness but the springiness and resilience were similar. Herb extracts significantly contributed to the variation of sensory characteristics, including flavor, aroma, texture, and color. Adding herb extracts produces cheese with a slightly grassy aroma and bitter flavor. The addition of bidara, moringa, and bay leaf extracts during the manufacture of cottage cheese from cow milk resulted in the variation in yield, textures, composition, and sensory characteristics. Adding herbs produces cheese with higher moisture content but lower ash content than non-herb cheese. Cheese made with the addition of bay leaf extract had a higher hardness level than the control cheese and cheese added with other herbal extracts. The addition of herbal extracts makes a noticeable color change in cheese.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Submission of a manuscript implies that the work described has not been published before or is under consideration for publication elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract). When the manuscript is accepted for publication, the authors agree to automatic transfer of the copyright to the publisher.
- Abdelmontaleb, HS, FA Othman, MA Degheidi and KA Abbas. 2021. The influence of quinoa flour addition on the physicochemical, antioxidant activity, textural, and sensory characteristics of UFâ€soft cheese during refrigerated storage. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation 45(5):1-10.
- Abeyrathne, EDNS, K Nam, X Huang and DU Ahn. 2022. Plant-and Animal-Based Antioxidants' Structure, Efficacy, Mechanisms, and Applications: A Review. Antioxidants 11(5):1025. DOI https://doi.org/10.3390/antiox11051025.
- Abdel-Latif, HMR, MM Abdel-Daim, M Shukry, J Nowosad and D Kucharczyk. 2022. Benefits and applications of Moringa oleifera as a plant protein source in Aquafeed: A review. Aquaculture 547(2022): 1-18.
- Adefegha, S, G Oboh, O Molehin, J Saliu, M Athayde and A Boligon. 2016. Chromatographic Fingerprint Analysis, Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitory Properties and Antioxidant Activities of Redflower Rag (C rassocephalum Crepidioides) Extract. Journal of Food Biochemistry 40(1):109-119.
- Amar, A and IS Surono. 2012. Physico-chemical, and sensory properties of soy based Gouda cheese analog made from different concentration of fat, sodium citrate and various cheese starter cultures. Makara Journal of Technology 16(2):149-156.
- Boroski, M, HJ Giroux, H Sabik, HV Petit, JV Visentainer, PT Matumoto-Pintro and M Britten. 2012. Use of oregano extract and oregano essential oil as antioxidants in functional dairy beverage formulations. LWT-Food Sci.Technol. 47(1):167-174.
- Chavan, RS. and MR. Goyal. 2018. Technological Interventions in Dairy Science: Innovative Approaches in Processing, Preservation, and Analysis of Milk Products. CRC Press.
- ChÃ¡vez-ServÃn, JL., HM Andrade-Montemayor, CV VÃ¡zquez, AA Barreyro, T GarcÃa-Gasca, RAF MartÃnez, AMO RamÃrez and K de la Torre-Carbot. 2018. Effects of feeding system, heat treatment and season on phenolic compounds and antioxidant capacity in goat milk, whey and cheese. Small Ruminant Research. 160:54-58.
- Dahiru, D and O Obidoa. 2008. Evaluation of the antioxidant effects of Ziziphus mauritiana lam. extracts against chronic ethanol-induced hepatotoxicity in rat liver. African Journal of Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicines 5(1):39-45.
- El-Sayed, SM and AM Youssef. 2019. Potential application of herbs and spices and their effects in functional dairy products. Heliyon 5(6):e01989.
- El Rabey, HA, JA Khan, MI Sakran and MA Al-Ghamdi. 2018. The antioxidant activity of low doses of moringa seeds in hypercholesterolemic male rats. Reactive Oxygen Species 6(17):363â€“370-363â€“370.
- Frazier, RA, ER Deaville, RJ Green, E Stringano, I Willoughby, J Plant and I Mueller-Harvey. 2010. Interactions of tea tannins and condensed tannins with proteins. Journal of pharmaceutical and biomedical analysis 51(2):490-495.
- Hasni, I, P Bourassa, S Hamdani, G Samson, R Carpentier and HA Tajmir-Riahi. 2011. Interaction of milk Î±-and Î²-caseins with tea polyphenols. Food.chem 126(2):630-639.
- Hassan, FA, A Enab, MA Abdel-Gawad, HM Bayoumi and Y Youssef. 2017. Utilization of moringa leaves powder in production of soft white cheese. Int. J. Dairy Sci 12:137-142.
- Hidayati, MD, T Ersam, K Shimizu and S Fatmawati. 2017. Antioxidant activity of Syzygium polyanthum extracts. Indonesian Journal of Chemistry 17(1):49-53.
- Kusuma, IW, H Kuspradini, ET Arung, F Aryani, Y-H Min, J-S Kim and Y-u Kim. 2011. Biological activity and phytochemical analysis of three Indonesian medicinal plants, Murraya koenigii, Syzygium polyanthum and Zingiber purpurea. Journal of Acupuncture and Meridian Studies 4(1):75-79.
- KulaitienÄ—, J, N VaitkeviÄienÄ— and D LevickienÄ—. 2021. Studies on proximate composition, mineral and total phenolic content of yogurt bites enriched with different plant raw material. Fermentation 7(4):2-12
- Mahami, T, F Ocloo, S Odonkor, C Owulah and S Coffie. 2012. Preliminary study on the influence of moringa seed extracts supplementation on the yield and quality of cottage cheese. International Journal of Recent Trends in Science and Technology 2(1):4-8.
- Molehin, O and S Adefegha. 2014. Comparative study of the aqueous and ethanolic extract of Momordica foetida on the phenolic content and antioxidant properties. International Food Research Journal 21(1):401-405.
- Mushtaq, M, A Gani, FA Masoodi and M Ahmad. 2016. Himalayan cheese (Kalari/Kradi) â€“ Effect of different probiotic strains on oxidative stability, microbiological, sensory and nutraceutical properties during storage. Food Sci. Technol. 67:74-81. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2015.11.039
- Nishinari, K, K Kohyama, H Kumagai, T Funami and MC Bourne. 2013. Parameters of Texture Profile Analysis. Food Science and Technology Research 19(3):519â€“521.
- Olaoye, AB, CA Ologunde, OR Molehin and I Nwankwo. 2021. Comparative antioxidant analysis of moringa extracts from south western states in Nigeria. Future Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 7(1):1-15.
- Ozcan, T, L Yilmaz-Ersan and A Akpinar-Bayizit. 2017. Textural properties of herby cheese. International Journal of Food Engineering 3(1):23-28
- Reineccius, T, G Reineccius and T Peppard. 2003. Flavor release from cyclodextrin complexes: Comparison of alpha, beta, and gamma types. J. Food Sc. 68(4):1234-1239.
- Salih, ZA, H AAbdelsalam, AA Aburigal and AME Sulieman. 2020. Physicochemical, microbiological and sensory characteristics of white cheese made by adding moringa seeds extract. Academic Journal of Life Sciences 6(7):76-82.
- SÃ¡nchez-MuÃ±oz, MA, MA Valdez-Solana, C Avitia-DomÃnguez, P RamÃrez-Baca, MG Candelas-Cadillo, M Aguilera-OrtÃz, JA Meza-VelÃ¡zquez, A TÃ©llez-Valencia and E Sierra-Campos. 2017. Utility of milk coagulant enzyme of moringa seed in cheese production from soy and skim milks. Foods 6(8):62.
- Setyawardani, T, K Widayaka, J Sumarmono, A Rahardjo, S Santoso and M Sulistyowati. 2018. Texture, hedonic test and fatty acid profile of goat cheese with L plantarum TW14 and L. rhamnosus TW2 isolates stored at different temperaturee conditions. Journal of the Indonesian Tropical Animal Agriculture 43(3):230-237.
- Singh, SP and AL Schwan. 2011. Sulfur Metabolism in Plants and Related Biotechnologies. Comprehensive Biotechnology 4(20):257â€“271.
- Wen, P, Y Zhu, J Luo, P Wang, B Liu, Y Du, Y Jiao, Y Hu, C Chen and F Ren. 2021. Effect of anthocyanin-absorbed whey protein microgels on physicochemical and textural properties.