Main Article Content
The utilization of local resource materials as the feed source for native chicken, such as sago dregs, is a potential solution to reduce the cost of conventional chicken feed. Sago dregs is produced from sago processing that is widely available in Meranti Island Regency, Riau Province. This research was aimed to determine how much evaluate the potential of sago dregs for native chicken feed in Meranti Regency. Testing sago-dregs based ration was carried out on 80 four-week-old Balitbangtan superior native chicken in four treatments (n=20) as follows: P1 = 60% fermented sago dregs (FSD)) + 10% corn + 30% trash fish; P2 = 60% FSD + 10% coffee skin + 30% trash fish; P3 = 50% FSD + 50% commercial chicken feed; P4 = 50% non-fermented sago dregs (NFSD)) + 50% commercial chicken feed. The commercial starter was given to 0-4 weeks-old chickens, while treatment feed was given to 4-12 weeks. The parameters observed were body weight gain and feed conversion ratio. The research data obtained were processed statistically using the T-test. The results showed a significantly lower (P <0.05) average body weight of chickens in P2 (630 grams) than that of P3 (808 grams) and of P4 (806 grams). Meanwhile, the P1 chickensâ€™ weight (722 grams) was not significantly different from the others. The feed conversion ratio of P1, P2, P3, and P4 was 3.2, 3.3, 3.1, and 3.5, respectively. Sago dregs is a potential substitute for conventional feed for Balitbangtan's superior native chickens.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Submission of a manuscript implies that the work described has not been published before or is under consideration for publication elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract). When the manuscript is accepted for publication, the authors agree to automatic transfer of the copyright to the publisher.
- Adli, DN. 2021. The Effect of Replacing Fish Meal with Sago Larvae Meal (SLM) on Egg Production and Quality of Laying Hens. Livestock Research for Rural Development, 33(7): 1-8.
- Datau, F and S Fathan. 2021. Penambahan Ampas Sagu Terfermentasi (Metroxylon sago) Terhadap Performa Ayam Kampung Super Fase Starter. Jambura Journal of Animal Science, 3(2): 96-104. (Abstract in englsih)
- Fetriyuna, F, SMA Letsoin, IRA Jati, RC Purwestri, B Setiawan, NN Wirawan and T Yuliana. 2022. Potential uses of underutilized sago to support the sustainability of food supply and bioeconomy. resmilitaris, 12(3), 1397-1418.
- Gasco, L, G Acuti, P Bani, AD Zotte, PP Danieli, A De Angelis, and A Roncarati. 2020. Insect and fish by-products as sustainable alternatives to conventional animal proteins in animal nutrition. Italian Journal of Animal Science, 19(1), 360-372.
- Hidayat, C, S Iskandar, and T Sartika. 2011. Response of Laying Performance of KUB Chicken to Dietary Protein Given During Growing Period. JITV. 16: 83â€“9.
- Leeson, S and JD Summers. 2008. Commercial Poultry Nutrition. Guelph: NottinghamUniversity. Press England.
- Meranti Island Central Statistical Agency. 2018. Kepulauan Meranti Regency in Figures 2018 (Selatpanjang: BPS-Statistics of Kepulauan Meranti Regency).
- Moreki, JC, S Magapatona, and F Manyeula. 2020. Effect of stocking density on performance of broiler chickens. INT'L J. of Agric. and Rural dev, 23(2): 5367-5372.
- Muharlien, Achmanu and R.Rachmawati. 2011. The Increase Broiler Production by Adjusting The Proportion of Husk, Sand and Lime as Litter J. Ternak Trop. 12: 38â€“45.
- Rahayu, MW. 2016. Utilization of sago dregs (Metroxylon sp ) as chicken feed. SNIP prosiding pp 511â€“5.
- Ravindran, V and MR Abdollahi. 2021. Nutrition and Digestive Physiology of The Broiler Chick: State of The Art and Outlook. Animals, 11(10), 2795.
- Rianza, R, D Rusmana, and W Tanwiriah. 2019. The Use of Fermented Sago Pulp as Feed for Super-native Chicken for 1-5 Weeks. Jurnal Ilmu Ternak Universitas Padjadjaran, 19(1), 36-44.
- Riau Central Statistics agency. 2018. Riau Province in Figure 2018. Pekanbaru: BPS-Statistics of Riau Province. Riau.
- Sharma, R, P Garg, P Kumar, SK Bhatia, and S Kulshrestha. 2020. Microbial fermentation and its role in quality improvement of fermented foods. Fermentation, 6(4): 106.
- Sjofjan, O and DN Adli. 2021. The Effect of Replacing Fish Meal with Fermented Sago Larvae (FSL) on Broiler Performance. Livestock Research for Rural Development, 33: 2-7.
- Susanti, TL, R Safitri, and AH Padmadijaya. 2022. Utilization of Sago Dregs as Ruminant Feed by Using the Fermentation Method: Literature Review. Jurnal Bioteknologi & Biosains Indonesia (JBBI), 9(2): 268-282.
- Urfa, S, H Indijani and W Tanwiriah. 2017. Growth curve model of kampung unggul balitnak (KUB) chicken J. Ilmu Ternak, 17: 59â€“66.
- Yunilas. 2005. Performance of Broiler Applied by Various Levels of Animal Protein Diet. J. Agribisnis Peternakan, 1: 22â€“6.
- Zurriyati, Y. 1995. Enhancement nutritional value of elod sago (Metroxylon sp) as a monogastric feed ingredient with fermentation technology using Aspergillus niger (Bogor Agriculture Institute)